Tuesday, August 20, 2013

It's All Up To You

While I was out to lunch with my cousin, I came across this sign....
 
 
This made me think that I keep forgetting to remember how relevant my attitude, my behavior, my actions, my reactions, and my choices play in my story and those closest to me. 
 
"So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment."

President Thomas S Monson
The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter Day Saints

I can choose to be angry and feel cheated about the unfair hand life dealt me.  I choose to make lemonade out of my lemons. 
 
Yesterday, I wanted to surprise my husband and weed. I have to be very careful because leaning forward can cause migraines and the pain in my legs increases. He has forbidden this activity. But, me being me: I don't like having limits placed on me, I push myself to do things. Challenge on.
 
So, while trying to pull weeds, keep my head level, my legs positioned just so, and avoid creepy crawlies I received a shocking jolt of cold water raining down upon my face and body. The cold water took my breath.  My mind was not quick to process this situation. Finally my wet self yelled, move it. 
 
Now I am not much quicker than the fasted of turtles. I rolled this way, then that trying to get out of the mud and onto the grass. You would have thought the weeds had come to life making shackles at my ankles and wrists.  My inability to respond with any speed made me shriek.  Incredible! 
 
During my ordeal my sons believed this scene was hilarious.  Really, what kind of warped sons have I raised. Laughing at a gimpy old lady. I should have known they wouldn't come to my rescue. 

Doomed, my failure to give a Weed free flower bed. To top it off I was looking like a drowned rat. Now I had nothing to lose and I joined in the laughter. 
 
After all that, I was able see the joy my predicament brought to my sons.  I was successful in bringing unexpected joy. I cleared a 12 x 18 patch of noxious beasts. 
 
The joy and laughter I shared with my sons is memorable and I have more lemonade. Love to be brimming with the lemonade. 
 
I have taught my sons that we must take the high road in our experiences. To forgive, move forward, and be an example. 
 
Sadly, even at this stage of my life I am still learning how difficult it can be when someone you regard in high esteem lets you down and breaks your heart. 

I'm going through the process of trudging up the rocky, creviced, thorny, stinging nettled road. 

In relation to this, I was talking with my youngest son. We discussed the poem by Robert Frost, entitled The Road Less Traveled. We came to the conclusion that an apropos interpretation of life's road less traveled is giving forgiveness, love, kindness, generosity, and service to those that hurt us. 
 
We need to let go of those heavy burdens. Those words and emotions of blight. It's hard. Life Is Hard! You can heal, have laughter, make progress and yes do hard things. 

I choose to take the road less traveled. It isn't easy, but I can do hard things. It's my journey. I get to choose the beauty I create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment